Sunday, May 17, 2009

The New Normal

I've decided that being "too busy" is the new normal for us. But it's all good, and I'm not complaining. The housework suffers once in a while, but not the things that matter most.

We started the week with a family night activity devoted to preparing for Don's upcoming 5-day backpacking trip with his scouts. We made Logan Bread (more like a cookie) which is full of calories and includes things like peanut butter, dried fruits, grains, honey, and nuts. It will be something for Don to snack on while he's hiking.


A tray of Logan Bread.

Tuesday night Don had scouts and I worked on the service project that I'll be doing with the young women at girls' camp next month.

On Wednesday we had a Home Owner's Association barbecue (yummy) and meeting (which I had to run since I am still the president of the association). The food was great, and it was good to see friends from our old neighborhood again.


I thought that Thursday would bring me some free time, but it wasn't meant to be. We took another call. This week we took calls for 2 rattle snakes, a Gila monster, and a very cute, but bothersome, rock squirrel running around a Factory 2 U store. It took a couple of days to catch it, and then we relocated it.

On Friday we had a delightful time at a graduation party for Kaytie who is graduating from the University of Arizona with a degree in elementary education! YEA KAYTIE!!! We are so excited for you! You chose a great profession, if I do say so myself! It was fun for me to play guitars and sing with Austin (who is now in law school) and Kaytie (who has landed a teaching job for the upcoming school year). I used to teach them guitar lessons when they were much younger, and Kaytie used to teach my girls dance lessons when they were just little girls...and they are now grown. Where does that time go???



Singing outside.



Kaytie with her very pleased (and rightfully so) parents.


Austin with his wife and cousin, Billy.
We had a wonderful time and enjoyed great food. Carol is a wonderful cook!

Since Tuesday was our 15th anniversary, we took time Saturday to eat at the Olive Garden and watch the new Star Trek movie (yes, we liked it).
Today, Sunday, was a joyful day as Nathan was ordained a high priest and put into the Bishopric in his ward, and our good friend and former bishop was made the new stake president in the Rincon stake. It is a privilege to serve in the kingdom of God, and we are happy for these two remarkable men and their wonderful families.

No comments: