Monday, December 20, 2010

December

December is flying by. The gifts have been purchased , and the last of the packages will go out in the mail today. But it was two other events in the last week that gave me time to reflect on the meaning of Christmas.

The first was the passing of Aunt Dorothy last week. Without the birth, atonement, and resurrection of the Savior, their would be no peace, no hope, and no eternal families. Pondering on the love our Heavenly Father has for us as evidenced by the events we celebrate at Easter and Christmas, left me humbled and awed...again. Try as I may, I have never been able to fully grasp the enormity of that gift.

The second was singing in the Messiah last night with a wonderful orchestra and soloists. I thought about Handel and his acknowledgement that the music was given to him by God, and about the prophesies of Isaiah and their fulfillment. What a blessing prophets are! As Don and I walked into the Stake Center to warm up for the concert, I looked to the west and the setting sun. Below was the scene before my eyes. I wanted to start singing on the sidewalk, "For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!"


Merry Christmas to all of you.

No comments: